Being a Conscious Healer During Heavy Hearted Times

  Image by Mike Labrum via Unsplash

Image by Mike Labrum via Unsplash

It was challenging for me to decide what to write about this week. Our culture is in the midst of very painful times, on so many levels. As a healer and a therapist it didn’t feel Right to blog about mindfulness, yoga, or emotional healing tips. Although, I do believe these can be great coping tools during such times.

Over the weekend, I was with a holistic healing retreat client for three days. During retreats my focus is 75% on the client and what they’re needing. The other 25% goes to my own self-care. Often times this means I’m not tuned into the world around me. I take longer than normal to respond to emails, texts, and phone calls. I don’t really make social plans. When I’m not able to tend to those aspects in my own life, then staying in tune with the collective is even more challenging.

When I caught news of the horrific and tragic anti-Semitic shootings in Pittsburgh that occurred Saturday, I was in shock. My heart was heavy. And I had to go back to work and show up for my client. Because I was so caught up by what was going on at my job, I didn’t make the time to process the event and honor the victims (and those who were impacted by association) of this unbelievable crime. I’m ashamed to admit this. And it speaks to the privilege I have as a white woman.

As I’ve had a couple days off since this last retreat, I’ve been reflecting on my role as a healer and how to remain conscious and present during this time. There is a lot happening in the collective. Violence, fear, betrayal, ignorance, hate. How can I show up for those who are hurting? How can I stand in solidarity with those who have been impacted by such tragic events? I know several of my colleagues are asking the same questions.

I think it’s important for all healers and those in the helping profession to be asking these questions right now. Especially those of us who have privilege.

It’s always been important to me to create a business that talks about the light and shadow—individually and collectively. Even my own. I don’t always do a great job of it. I’ll be the first to admit that. And this weekend was a reminder of how I can show up better as an ally.

It would be easy for me to pretend like these things aren’t happening and continue to talk about holistic health and healing. But this isn’t the Truth of what’s happening in the world. And I want to speak Truth on this platform. I want to lean into the discomfort. Part of creating consciousness is shining the light on our faults, our ignorance, and our missteps.

In the meantime, I’m going to seriously explore these questions I have about myself and how I show up as a healer.

My heart is open to those who are experiencing pain and grief at this time. I won’t pretend that I even remotely understand the fear you must feel right now. But I will hold space for you and your heart.

I stand with you. I see you. I will continue to challenge myself in being a more conscious ally—as a friend and a healer.